How do we really know when enough is enough when it comes to mass promoting events, services and products Online through email and Social Media? Is it when someone asks to be taken off of yourList or email? Is it when you are un-friended and how often should we really promote anyways?
These all too serious questions are inspired by a Facebook connection that overly (in my opinion) invites me to his Networking events. These events happen weekly so I am bombarded with event invites, messages through his personal account and messages through the event should I forget to decline the invitation. That’s a part-time job in itself keeping up with the Facebook crap and now he throws in email promotions for the same event. These are not the kind of emails that have the life saving “unsubscribe” link at the bottom either.
Basically, this guy is becoming more and more of a spammer in my eyes and less of a connection I want to have, but it could be avoided. Here are some personal opinions on how he could avoid me wanting to drop kick my computer every time I get his spammy messages…
* Create a Fanpage for your Networking group. If I don’t join, then I am not opting in to your messages and invites.
* Pay attention to people when they ask to be removed from future invites.
* Contacts that you have emailed once with are not people that have opted in to your promotions and emails. (This goes for people you have exchanged business cards with)
* If you plan on sending emails weekly for the same Networking event consider Constant Contact or similar services because it takes the awkward out of me unsubscribing from your emails.
* Un-friend you on Facebook.
* Request one last time for you to stop emailing me and then auto filter your crap to my Spam box.
* Block you on Facebook so I don’t get your any updates from you.
Ultimately this means that connections will be lost and Mt. Spammer will never know because he was too busy spamming to pay attention.
Is this something you are willing to risk?