Hey… Let’s have a meeting and at this meeting lets talk about having our next meeting, but before we talk about that we will talk about our last meeting.
How many of you have been to meetings like this? This is why I hate going to meetings. I know at times I have to because clients or biz partners really need to meet to go over important information, but these days I think meetings are overrated and honestly are overly used as a way to talk about what could be, should be or might be done with very little doing.
For this reason I hate meetings!
I would personally rather be in my office getting work done than rehashing what was discussed a month ago. For me it isn’t the length of the meeting because if we absolutely need to spend two hours discussing something then we will. Actually, it isn’t a time issue at all because my time is just as valuable as the next persons. I will spend 6 hours chatting with friends over drinks and tapas and this is because I enjoy it. What I don’t enjoy is being bored to death.
Here are a few tips of my very own to making meetings as painless as possible
- Have an agenda and make sure everyone else has a copy.
- Appoint one person to control the meeting to keep things moving.
- Make sure everyone is on the same page.
- Open your mouth! – Never walk away from a meeting with questions or confused.
- Take notes!
- Sometimes you don’t have to travel to meet clients. Remember that there are free Online tools that can save all parties time (Skype, ooVoo, GoToMeeting etc…)
Conclusion: It’s not the meeting that sucks, but rather the way the meeting is conducted. Keep your meetings on task and to the point.